Sunday, September 19, 2010

Making Changes

Hall Bath. It had to go. This bath looked fine when we moved in. It never bothered me until we actually started living with it. Over time, more and more started to bother us about it, and we finally decided to make some changes.

A few irksome things:

The tile. It's not nice ceramic tile like in most homes. Instead, it's sheet metal, fake tile glued to drywall. There were holes drilled into it by people of this home's past, and it was dingy, dirty and just plain gross.
The paint. I think it's the 'sponge painting' technique that was big in the early 1990's. The only somewhat redeeming part are the neutral colors, but even that didn't keep me from hating it.

Shell sink. Need I say more?

Five weeks with one weekend off, numerous trips to Home Depot and Lowe's later, hours of sanding, cutting, and painting,
we have a new bathroom...

There's bead board up in place of the awful fake tile. We painted it an almost white, but it looks basically white in the picture. The walls have been re-textured and then painted. I really like how the colors turned out. I wasn't totally sold on painting the cabinets brown, that was Trey's big idea, but I think it turned out really nice.
We bought the vanity from Sears. It's granite, and it came pre-cut and finished with the sink bowl already attached. All we had to do was place it on top and then do the plumbing. Trey has become an expert at installing sink faucets at this point.

Here's a view with the shower curtain, and our coordinating towels. I feel so in style because it all has gray in it which is supposed to be the color of the season. (or at least that's what I heard on the radio)

This is the final view of the other cabinets we have that are across from the toilet.

I really like how it all turned out! It's amazing how much bigger the bathroom feels now with the new design and colors. For the first couple of days after it was complete, we didn't even use it because we didn't want to get it dirty or messed up. It was too pretty! I wish we'd done this years ago, but oh well, I'm just glad it's finished and we're not still painting :)

1 comment: