Thursday, October 28, 2010

Feeling Fallish

Finally the temperatures are in the high 60's/ low 70's and it's starting to feel more and more like fall! Good thing because this week we started to get into the season!

Saturday evening we went to a Halloween Pumpkin Carving party. Our friends, Josh and Shawna, are the party planners extraordinaire, and we had a great time getting to see old friends and hang out! Trey and I carved our jack 'o lantern and this was the final result.

Boo!


A man and his cat with his handiwork.


Too bad it's already started molding, and will probably have to be thrown out before Sunday :( We still enjoyed making it and have put the candle back in a couple of times to see it lit up. We're kind of dorkish, but we're trying to get enjoyment out of it for the small amount of time it'll be around!

Tuesday night I had my book/ dinner club over. We began as book club that quit reading, and now we just get together for dinner and spend time catching up on each others' lives. We hadn't met for a while, so I was really excited to see them all.

I wanted my menu to be fallish, so I made a chicken noodle bake and a spiced pumpkin cake. The chicken turned out sort of bland. I hadn't made it before, and I'm not sure I will again. It definitely needed some spices, but I'm not sure what. The spiced pumpkin cake, on the other hand, was awesome!! It was basically a pumpkin bread with a lemon/powdered sugar icing.


I forgot to take a picture of it beforehand (trust me- it was pretty ), but this is what's left. It came from the November issue of Real Simple, and I would highly recommend it! For a cake baked from scratch, it was pretty easy to make. Now, I'm very ready for Thanksgiving and pumpkin pie! I can barely wait! I even tried to convince Trey we should stock up on canned pumpkin just in case the store ran out, but since we're going to Alice and I'm flying, that became a ridiculous idea. So, Jackson's, I hope pumpkin pie is on the menu!

3 comments:

  1. I want pumpkin pie too! We'll make it happen. Y'alls pumpkin is awesome. Y'all must have had real carving tools. We already had to throw ours into the compost. It caved in a couple of days ago. Poor guy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pumpkin pie is always on the menu! Come on down...we even have a new recipe for pumpkin bread in case we need something special for snacking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cake was very good! And I don't like pumpkin! I might have to try it out for Thanksgiving. Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete